Thursday, January 6, 2011

one bad thing, sixteen good things

I try not to use the word "maniacal" too too much. The last time it made it appearance in my musings, it was a few years back -and not even in this particular blog. Do you remember this?

But I digress.

Last evening, I came home from a prayer meeting (which was going full steam ahead, I might add) in order to ready the house for hungry company. I set out the food, warmed the pot o' soup, and decided to light a fire in the dining room fireplace. I fanned the flame, shut the door tightly, and went into the back wing to oversee the staff.

Haha. Caught you there. No staff; just me in an apron.

Five minutes went by, in which the front two rooms of the house were filled with gray smoke.
Now I can insert the word maniacal. Actually, I will spare you the description and ask you to employ your imagination of my antics. While wearing an apron.

I might also add, for your enjoyment, that I was whooping loudly although there was no one at home.

It seems that either the flue or the chimney is cracked. Or both, I don't know. But now we have a new decoration on our fireplace to keep the cold drafts at bay. Do you like it?

There was no smoke damage. Only a barely detectable tinge of smokey smell to the house when company arrived. As for me, I was redolent of a chimney-sweep.

In the department of Things That Make Me Happy, I bring you this: my new plates. Eight bowls and eight sandwich plates with l'il birdies on them. How I love them!

They were a splurge with Christmas money from my mom. She will be glad to know that they look great in Aunt Diane's hutch, which she also gifted me.

Thanks, mom.

2 comments:

  1. TJ's? I saw them there in December and enjoyed the few seconds of holding them. Soooo pretty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, Home Goods in Clifton Park. You can come hold them here any time.

    ReplyDelete