Thursday, January 8, 2009

day one

The story could begin the day we closed on our old stone home, which was a few weeks ago. Or it could begin when we moved to the North Country in 2002 with the wild hope of owning a stone home. But I choose to designate Day One as a seemingly insignificant day over twenty-five years ago when, as a music student at a local college, I first leaned over the railing of the historic Madrid bridge and dreamed of living in this very stone home.

Now I view this lovely bridge from the bow of my kayak. (Not this time of year, though!)

Here is a closer view. Now imagine the thunder of those falls. Our old stone home is just to the right of the bridge.


I don't remember who lived there at the time, or whether the grounds appeared kept, but I do remember imagining its history. As it was situated on the bank of the Grasse River at the foot of a stone bridge, I assumed it had once been a mill -or the home of the miller, perhaps. To me, it seemed the oldest -and therefore most romantic- house in this sleepy, run-down, half-forgotten village which was only nine miles away from my college town. Nine miles and 150 years away, that is.

In many ways, Madrid New York looked like a ghost town. Dilapidated victorian homes and a tired stretch of run-down row houses formed the "town square". Main Street fanned out promisingly in one direction and quickly petered out to a cemetery and cornfields. Times were hard and business was poor. What would lure me to such a lack-luster place?

My pastor and his young family,who have remained life-long friends, had just purchased a home on Main Street, and my then-boyfriend rented an upstairs apartment on the other side of the bridge. He and I would often go for a walk and end up on that bridge, with me facing the bank where the old house called my name.

"Why would you want to live in that old scary-looking house?" he inquired politely as we stood at the halfway point on the bridge. I didn't take my eyes off of it as I answered him.

"Because I like it." said I.

Life is funny, isn't it? No one--and I mean no one--could've told me that in twenty-something years, I would return to the North Country with my overly-awesome husband (whom I hadn't met yet) and two astoundingly charming kids, buy that stone house, and make it our own.

My family loves a project. It's a good thing we do, as there is much to be done before we move in. Here on these glowing electronic pages, I will document the history, the beauty, and the work-in-progress as it all enfolds. I promise to solicit opinions, discuss remodeling options, entertain decorating schemes, and let you in on the things we discover along the way.

Welcome to our old stone home!

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to watch the progress on this home take place. As a lifelong resident of Madrid, it's been wonderful to watch our town be transformed little by little over the past few years. Welcome to Madrid!
    Blessings, Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Now I can get many, many updates on the house-in-the-works! You know I'll never get tired of hearing about all the scheming, planning, dreaming, and doing that you've got going on!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of the project. Glad that one of your dreams came true. When can we go kayaking?

    ReplyDelete