Monday, January 12, 2009

island paradise

A simple pad of graph paper has provided hours of creative fun for me. Since we are completely re-designing the back wing of the house, I needed to start from scratch. The only element that will remain will be the foundation's "foot-print."


The first area we defined was the kitchen, which will basically stay in the same space as the present kitchen, which was installed in the 1960's. Presently, it is a long, narrow space with a breakfast nook. (The nook is nice; the view is lovely- but we aren't nook-ish people. We are definitely island-diners.) The counter-tops are cobalt blue tile. And shiny. One of the things that cracks my whole family up is the oven which is inserted INTO the fireplace opening. None of us get it. Must have been a 60's thing.

The floor plan will open up with the removal of some interior walls and the complete dismantling of a monstrous double-fireplace and chimney. This thing is huge and sits in the middle of the whole back wing. (How many remodeling projects begin with the words, "what were they THINKING?")

Today I was thinking about the future kitchen-island. Last summer, I discovered an old general store counter in a friend's barn. Last week, I called them up and inquired about it. Yes, it's still in the barn. Sure, they would not mind getting rid of it. They agreed to barter some work in exchange for it.

I think it would make a fantastic island! We would have to cut it to size (it is presently twelve feet long), add some trim, and build a top for it, but Hubby and #1 Son think it is do-able. I would use the space under the island for storage of large pots and pans. (Maybe also a shelf for cookbooks.) We are guessing the seating capacity to be eight, uncrowded.

If I can't have my own personal tropical island, I guess I could settle for a perfectly-appointed island in a well-designed kitchen. I'm not that hard to please. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment