Tuesday, September 15, 2009

yellow & red do their job

My day started with a bang. A real one. A barrel-chested, humdinger, jump up and slap your grandma kind of a bang.

My first sleep-drugged thought was that maybe a large section of our house had fallen off.
That happens around here sometimes.

-like it did last week.

"Hey", inquires Jon. "I wonder why this fell?"
Matthew merely stands by, hand on hip, unaffected by such calamity.

Not really. They both were on the same page about the house crashing to the ground.

But back to this morning's noise. I creep downstairs in my nightgown to see what the clamor was all about. Through the living room window, I spot yellow.

Yellow is good. Yellow gets the job done.

Yellow is our friend.
Wait. I see something red approaching.
Something evil this way comes.

I slowly step towards the front door.

Red is here. It brings gravel.
Mounds and mounds and mounds of gravel. Enough to build another Tenochtitlan.

More than enough gravel to pave a road to China and back.

Red gets the job done, too.
Red enjoys announcing the completion of a task.
Red has a swinging metal door that, when it meets the back bed of the truck, shakes the dead from their graves.

Top 'o the mornin' to ya from the foot of the hill in Madrid, New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment