Monday, April 5, 2010

the kitchen island

We plan to eat many a snack at the kitchen island -which may explain my joy at its existence.

This past week, the Lord of the Manor has spent many hours crafting the reclaimed slate counter tops. Here is a picture of the slate being installed on the antique general store counter which serves as the kitchen island:

Tommy thinks he is Vanna White.

The crowning glory of this island is the light fixture. I thought a juxtaposition of styles would be cool, so I picked out an industrial light fixture.

The new addition to the kitchen was christened immediately with colored chalk -which makes total sense when you remember that for many years, teachers and school children expressed themselves on it in the very same way.

It's a chalk-artist's free-for-all until the tops are sealed. Seeing that the next day was Easter Sunday, bunnies and Easter baskets were all the rage.

A few hours later, a sweet young lady decorated the island top in a different kind of fashion.

We really really love this beautiful and functional piece! But now that it is in place, we think it may need a little tiny zap of color.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Golden Castle or Amber Wheat get my vote. But you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it needs color too. I already told you back in February. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. everyone agreed we needed a zap of something, so I painted it today. Instead of mustard yellow -it looks bright saffron! Colors are so TRICKY.

    I will post a pic soon.

    I think I will keep the color for now, if only to liven my day.

    ReplyDelete