Tuesday, June 9, 2009

more pics for the curious

There are other things going on here besides the Big Move. Just outside my window, large machines are making large noises. Here, new telephone poles are being erected. The new lines will be raised 8-12 feet, bringing scores of ugly black wires above the sight-line from our bedroom window.

Thank you, worker-men. Every morning when I rise and cast my gaze upon the unobstructed view of the Grasse River, I will be grateful for your hard work. I shall bring you cookies, warm from the oven. That is, when I HAVE an oven.

I am not complaining.

The bridge is now closed to pedestrian traffic. (Last May, it was abruptly and unceremoniously closed to vehicular traffic.) There is a shuttle service that runs from the village square to the park on the other side of the bridge. As for me, I plan to use my kayak if I need to visit the park.
-but you already knew that.

The men have already dammed one-half of the other side of the river and have created a gravel drive that leads into the empty riverbank for their heavy equipment. When the other side of the bridge is finished, they will do the same on our side.

I like to take breaks from unpacking and see their progress.

All day long, men in construction gear can be seen doing their thing. It is very satisfactory to know that even when I have my feet up drinking coffee, someone is getting something done around here.


How did THAT get in here? I am not sure, but it makes me want to order out.

For those who are concerned that Hubby is working too hard, allow me to calm your fears. He came out onto the water the other evening where we sat side by side, bobbing on the rippling river and soaking in the peace of the sky, the churning of the falls, and the dipping of sparrows over our heads. When we turned around to head back, I caught him quietly observing our new home.

I liked this moment.

I also liked THIS moment. #1 Son looks dead, but he is merely posing for dramatic effect. Friend #7 said, "Don't take my picture!", but when do I ever listen to her?

Please notice the new rug, which was purchased online after Christmas. I unrolled it for the very first time the day we moved---and it stunned us all with its perfection. 100% wool, a perfect match, lovely style, and 75% off. What's not to love?

I ask you.

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love those windowsills!

    Where did you find that rug? (I know you said 'online' - but *where* online? I must see if there are other rugs on sale! 75% off! :-0 )

    ReplyDelete
  2. JC Penney. It was a gamble in the "color-department" because the catalogue said blue and gold. I was buying it for our future family room.
    The rug is actually soft green and gold, and fits the living room decor to a T.
    $160 for a $640 rug! I also bought a matching runner for $18.

    A true steal.

    ReplyDelete